Teacher: Paula Horne
THIS COURSE REQUIRES A MINIMUM OF 3 STUDENTS!
U.S. History is a college prep course which will focus on the history and geography of the United States from the pre-Columbian period to the present age.
Primary sources, field trips, movies, simulation games and projects will be utilized throughout the year. In addition, the following historical novels will be discussed and correlated to specific time periods in American History:
- The Crucible by Arthur Miller
- Works of Henry David Thoreau
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Gone with The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
- The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
- The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
- The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
DiBacco, Thomas V., et al. History of The United States. Houghton Mifflin Company, 1995.
Gillon, Steven M. 10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America. Three Rivers Press, 2006.
$70 per month – 9 months
- Materials Fee**
$50 for the year (non-refundable) due at Registration
** In addition to course costs, AN ADMINISTRATIVE FEE is due FOR EACH STUDENT on the first day of EACH SEMESTER. See COSTS PAGE for further information.