DEREK OWENS CURRICULUM
THIS COURSE REQUIRES A MINIMUM OF 6 STUDENTS!
Using a worktext and online tutorial videos developed by Derek Owens, this course will cover the topics typically included in high school geometry. Geometry is normally taken by students in grades nine or ten, after Algebra 1. Students should have completed Algebra 1 before enrolling in Geometry. Please feel free to contact the instructor to discuss options in taking these three required high school classes.
Each week the instructor will spend time pre-teaching material for the week, reviewing homework assignments, and troubleshooting areas of difficulty. Students will have access to online video tutorials to round out in-class instruction.
Students will need two texts for this course:
- Geometry: Seeing, Doing, Understanding by Harold R. Jacobs, 3rd Edition, published by W. H. Freeman, 2003.
- Geometry Student Workbooks developed by Derek Owens.
- For more information on the class and the curriculum, includng ISBNs for the Jacobs book, please visit https://www.derekowens.com/.
$80/month (9 payments); textbook and technology costs as listed
- Materials Fee**
$50 for the school year (due at registration) - covers copy costs, lab supplies, etc
- Grades: 9-11
- Prerequisite: successful completion of Algebra 1
- Technology Requirements: Students will need to supply an inexpensive scientific calculator of their choice. Students will also need a computer and printer at home to access instructional material and video tutorials.
** In addition to course costs, AN ADMINISTRATIVE FEE is due FOR EACH STUDENT on the first day of EACH SEMESTER. See COSTS PAGE for further information.